How much could a flood cost you?



72 Hour Kit | Download the PDF



How do I protect my property from flooding in the first place?
There are many things that you can do to protect your home and personal property. Here are some items to review:

• Build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
• Avoid building in a floodplain unless you elevate and reinforce your home.
• Elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel in your home if you live in an area that has a high flood risk.
• Consider installing “check valves” to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home.
• If feasible, construct barriers to stop floodwater from entering the building and seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds.”

I have seen houses destroyed by erosion caused by swift floodwaters from a flooded river, is this covered by this policy?
Collapse or subsidence of land and the insured house, along a shore of a body of water caused by waves or currents of water are considered a flood and are covered by this policy.

What is the big difference between what is covered under the homeowners insurance and what is covered under this policy?
The difference between what is covered under the homeowner’s insurance and what is covered under this policy really depends on the source. If the flooding is an accumulation of surface water from outside your property the flood policy is meant to cover this. If it is natural water entering from an opening in the roof, walls, or windows or if the water is processed tap water that leaks from your water pipes or appliances (water heater, washer), it should be covered under most homeowners policies.

What is covered by flood insurance?
Flood insurance policies cover physical damage to your property and possessions. The most common flood policy has limits of $250,000 for your house and $100,000 for your personal property and you can purchase excess flood coverage to extend both of those limits.

If my plumbing or water heater were to leak and cause damage, would this flood policy cover that?
Unfortunately not, this program covers flooding of your house from surface water originating from outside of your house. Your homeowners policy should cover damage caused by plumbing or leaky appliances.

What is the definition of a flood?
Flooding occurs when water from outside your property rises and causes damage to your home and at least one other home. The source of the water can be an overflow of inland or tidal waters, the unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source or mudflow.

Ok, I have seen houses destroyed by swift floodwaters from a flooded river, is this covered by this policy?
If a house is destroyed due to the collapse of the land it is built on, and the collapse is due to waves or currents of water, that would be considered a flood and would be covered.

Is this part of a government program?
Private insurance companies and the federal government recognized that their association would improve the overall success of the program. Accordingly, insurance companies administer the program, but the federal government funds the insurance.

Doesn’t my homeowners insurance policy cover flooding?
Flood damage is not typically covered by a homeowners insurance policy.

How long does it take for my flood policy to take effect?
Voluntary flood insurance policies are not enforced until 30 days after purchase.

Is mold something I need to be concerned about?
The physical effects of mold contamination, which range from irritating symptoms akin to seasonal allergies to death, continue to gain national recognition and scientific support. Click here to find out more about mold and how to ensure that your home and property are safe to live in.

Can I get personal property coverage as a renter?
You can get flood insurance for your rental property if you live in a community that participates in the National Flood Insurance Program. You can get flood insurance to cover the contents of your home, apartment or business. To find out if your community is enrolled in the National Flood Insurance Program click here and you will be taken to our quick quote section that will detail the eligibility of your property.

Is there a low-cost policy for homes in moderate-to-lower risk areas?
There is a low-cost policy for homes in moderate-to-lower risk areas, and for much less than you might expect. The quick processing of these lower risk/low cost policies is the purpose of this website, so lets get started. Click here to get a quote.

Is my basement covered?
Most likely, your basement is not covered. Check your policy to be sure!
I live in a lower risk zone so why do I need to consider flood insurance?
Floods can happen anywhere and without warning. 25% of homes with flood claims each year are in low risk zones just like yours. Give yourself and your family the peace of mind of knowing that they are protected should a flood happen. It will take a full 30 days from the time your policy is purchased to be valid so waiting to make this decision is a serious risk.

If I sell my house can I cancel my flood policy?
You can cancel your policy if you sell your house. You simply need to provide a signed cancellation form and legal documentation such as your settlement paperwork showing the title transfer of your property to the company that sold you your flood insurance policy.

How do we know if a contractor is reputable or not before we hire them to help us clean up from the recent flood?
If your home is damaged or destroyed by a tornado, flood or other disaster, you may be too distraught to be on the lookout for fraud. But disasters can bring out unscrupulous contractors that prey on disaster victims, according to the Insurance Information Bureau.

After a disaster, professionals often go door-to-door to offer their services in neighborhoods that have sustained damage. While many of these business people are reputable, some are not. Click here for more information about how to protect yourself from fraud after a flood.

I heard that homeowners coverage might have a rider or endorsement attached that covers some flood losses, is that true?
There are some homeowner endorsements that will cover a back-up or overflow of sewers or drains or a sump-pump. These type losses sometimes do occur during flooding events. These endorsements will often have dollar limits substantially less than the flood policy

Who can I contact if I want to purchase a flood insurance policy ?
To purchase flood insurance click here to get a quote now!

Is it true that flood insurance is required by law ?
Flood insurance is required by law for some high risk homes but only a minority of homes fall under this category. Congress passed some laws requiring that all federally-insured or regulated lenders, for instance mortgages backed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac require flood insurance to protect their investment in the property.

I heard that after a hurricane homeowners insurance will pay for damage caused, what is the difference?
After a hurricane, sometimes homeowner’s insurance will pay for the damage caused depending on the source of the water. Generally, if it comes in from an opening created in the roof, windows, doors or walls from wind or wind driven rain – homeowners insurance will cover the damage. If the natural water accumulated on the surface of the ground first, this surface water is considered flood water and covered by the flood policy.

Does flooding commonly happen during other natural disasters?
90% of all natural disasters have some form of flooding.

Do I need flood insurance if I live in a low risk zone?
25% of homes with flood claims each year are in low risk zones.

Do I need to worry about the levee that is close by?
It was the levee failure in New Orleans, during Katrina, that created the massive flood damage in that area. Levees are designed to reduce the risk of flooding for us and our communities. Yet no design is without flaw and levees do not eliminate the risk of flooding which can be catastrophic. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) maps the risks behind levees, but they do not design, build, operate, maintain or certify that the levees provide a specific level of protection. Living below a levee or Dam means living with the risk. For peace of mind it is best to be protected.

What about overflows from sewer systems or sump pumps?
Overflows from sewer systems or sump pumps are not considered a flood unless a flood has caused the backup and overflow.